Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Family History

My favorite part of our trip to Lava Hot Springs was when Brian took the kids to the water park so that I could join my parents on a family history adventure. My Uncle Bill Hatch had e-mailed my mom about some places of family interest in Hatch, ID and my Aunt Barb had told us about some places in Chesterfield, ID we might want to check out. At first I wasn't sure we would find anything connected to my mom's line-but we did!


Here is a map of Historic Chesterfield. None of my direct ancestors lived here but a lot of their nephews, nieces and cousins did. So we were able to find some great photos.

Here is my mom Debbie standing in front of the house where her dad Wm. Robert Hatch (Poppy) was born in Hatch, ID:

One of the volunteers that day was a distant relative. She recognized my mom and asked, "Are you Betty Hatch's daughter?" She said she married my grandfather's cousin Roy Hatch. She said we loved when Bob and Betty would come to visit. Betty was always a riot. We had a lot of fun with them." It was so awesome to here one of my grandparents contemporaries talk about them. I really thought everyone My grandparents knew had passed away like them.


Here is my mom in the Higginson-Holbrook home in Historic Chesterfield. The photos are of her ancestors (top) Christina Young Higginson (bottom) Margaret Higginson Hatch and her siblings:

This is a close-up of Margaret Ann Maria Higginson. I had never seen this picture before and I LOVE it!


This is inside the Meeting House in Historic Chesterfield, ID. My mom is holding a picture of her progenitor William Thomas Higginson. This was the first time I'd seen this photo of him.



These pics were in the same "Meeting House". A different picture of Margaret Higginson and her husband Ransom Hatch (in the same frame):



The volunteers in Chesterfield were really excited about this school on the Hatch Loop. Apparently they received $300,000 to refurbish this building. The reason I'm interested in it is I think it might be the school my great-grandmother Lorrainne Barrett came to teach at in Hatch, ID when she met my great-grandfather Everett Hatch:

Close-up of the same school. The reason I think it may be the school my great-grandmother taught in is because Lorrianne and Everett's first child (Glendora) was born in 1917. Cool, huh?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Very cool! What an awesome heritage we have. I'm excited to go there next year and see all that. Thanks for sharing the pictures and info! Glad you all had a great vacation.