Sunday, November 23, 2008

Santa Letters


In years past the kids have always wanted to write and mail their Santa letters from the library because they have a very cool looking Santa mailbox during the holiday season. This year, we wanted to have the kids send their letters to Santa from Macy's because they have a special program where they donate a dollar to the "Make a Wish" foundation for each stamped letter submitted. If you have a moment, definitely visit the link above to learn more. You can actually read about the "Yes, Virginia" letter, see the editor's response. It make us cry everytime.

Which leads us to the story of mailing the letters that morning. After Beth explained why we were going to mail our letters at Macy's this year, Lily asked what the "Make a Wish" foundation was. Beth explained that it was an organization that helped grant children who were very sick and dying a wish so they could be happy. Miles was taking a bath and listening. Usually he sings in the tub, but his singing turned to very quiet humming.

When he got out, he told Beth "I lost my joy". Beth tried to cheer him up at first and joke around with him, but when she saw he was very serious, she asked him what was wrong. He burst in real tears and gave Beth a big hug and told her, "I'm sad because of the sick children." Beth tried to re-assure him they would be okay. He was worried that they might not get their wish, and even worse that they might not get it before Christmas. Beth explained how if they died, they would be with Heavenly Father and they would be okay. Miles then told her that he felt really bad because he always prays each night in his prayer "for the sick", but he had never thought that children could get so sick and had never thought to pray for them, too. He expressed such strong empathy. Beth explained that we were going to do our letters today and would be able to have a dollar donated. He asked if we could do it every year. He is just a really sweet guy with such strong empathy for others.

When we got there, he wanted to know where we put our dollars. Beth explained that we just wrote a letter and Macy's would deliver them and donate a dollar for each letter. We had to keep an eye on him so he didn't try to stuff the box.

Here are the kids submitting their letters:

3 comments:

Mamaface said...

I got a bit choked up reading about this. It's wonderful to be blessed with such a sweet spirit in your home. Maybe he will go on to suggest to his friends that they send their letters from Macy's also. It's something simple he could do to take a role that's a little more active than just praying. If we had more Miles' in the world it would be a much, much sweeter place.

Brian and Beth said...

I think Miles is a typical little boy who just realized children get terminally ill. He showed great compassion Saturday but he is still our little stinker. I'm acctually pretty embarrassed that we had the kids write their Santa letters before Thanksgiving (but if Santa wants free shipping she needs to order before Nov 25th). You've been to our home, Meg, & you know how unorganized & hectic we are. Miles sympathy for others is just part of his personality. He's not really a product of our home. BTW, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!-Beth

Megan said...

Right. So thanks for that. I just went through 57,000 kleenex boxes. :) Whew.

I'd say Miles is more incredible than typical. But of course he is with you for parents! Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm excited to share it with my kids.

(...And Beth, I JUST saw your email. How did I miss that??? I will write you soon!)