Pretty much every other kid in our neighborhood who is 1 year of age or older seems to already know to how to ride a bike. All the other kids except ours. Our kids had never had a two-wheeler bike until Miles just got one for his birthday at the end of last month. As such, I had been dreading spending several weeks or so with having to bend the training wheels, having to hold onto the back of his seat to help him learn, and having to watch him fall down a few hundred times.
That is until Tuesday night when Miles came in and said, "I know how to ride a bike now. Can you take off my training wheels?" I smiled and thought his anxiousness was cut, but a little unrealistic.
"I'm not sure we're ready to take your training wheels off just yet until after school starts and you've had a little more time to practice. It's going to take a while to learn how to ride a bike on your own."
"But I know how to ride a bike now. I just rode my friends bike and I can do it." Unsure of what I was going to watch, I followed him outside. I was fairly certain he wasn't going to be able to get on a bike and just ride it. But that's what he did. He casually hopped up onto his friend's bike sans training wheels and rode around like he'd been doing it for a while.
I removed his training wheels right then. He's been a biking fool ever since for the past few days. I was amazed that he seemed to will himself into knowing how to ride a bike, though I was not sad to miss the experience of having to hold onto the seat for several weeks and having to patch up a bunch of scrapes on his leg.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
you know it is due to his Hubler inherited balance. I was also very slow in teaching Connor and Gavin how to ride. But both got it amazingly quick with no cuts or crashes. It boggles the mind. Way to go Miles.
Congratulations. I failed miserably at teaching Hyrum to ride a bike. When I finally gave up after a few weeks, the kid across the street was able to teach him in a matter of an hour or less.
"Don't you want a taste of the glory? See what it Taste like."
Post a Comment