Saturday, May 23, 2009

Allergic to Everything

Miles appearantly is "allergic to many unknown things", says his doctor. She says it's too hard to pin down what he's allergic to so we just have to learn to live with Benadryl to cope with anything and everything.

This all came about as the result of a recent birthday party. He went to Chuck E Cheese and had a picture taken of himself in a little booth, as seen below:


An hour later, when Beth went to pick him up, his right eye was swollen. He looked like a prize fighter who had gone too many rounds. Beth said, "Miles, you're having an allergic reaction! We need to go accross the street to the store to get you some medicine". Miles said, "No I'm not. I need to spend my tickets." Such is the evil plot of Chuck E Cheese. They lure children into having a stronger desire to spend hard-earned tickets on prizes than into doing anything else. I think the place could be on fire and all the children would immediately rush to the counter of lame toys to spend their tickets on toys that cost $0.000001 real world money to produce and severl million tickets to puchase. Complete rubbish.
But I digress. Miles is fine and his face is now back to normal. We still have no official idea of what caused the allergic reaction, but I'm thinking it was either the result of a scary hug from an anamatronic singing mouse, or the stupid tickets.

6 comments:

Brian and Beth said...

O.K. FYI-Miles breaks out in hives or swells up on a pretty regular basis. I need to get an epi pen in case he goes into anaphylactic shock someday. We know he is allergic to penicillin, omnicef and lidocaine. Lilette and Miles had food allergies when they were little but they grew out of it. I just wish I knew everything he is reacting to so that I could avoid all the Benadryl. Oh well, parenthood, right?-Beth

Mamaface said...

Beth, you really need to check more into Feingold program. Go to http://www.feingold.org/ and read up on it. If you'd like, please e-mail me and I'll give you my message board login and password so you can look around at that, too. You may need to check into seeing a specialized doctor or at least specialized allergy testing. My SIL, Sharon, had a blood test done for her son and found out that he's allergic to a ton of things(and what those things were). I think she had to pay $500 for the test, but it was well worth it as she knows what to avoid with him now. I'll find out from her the exact name of that blood test was.

Brian and Beth said...

Thanks Meggie, I appreciate that information! Miles sees a Pediatric Allergist who keeps telling me that it is too invasive to test Miles and since children grow in and out of allergies all of the time-it's not worth it. I will read up on the Feingold plan. Summer is the perfect time to control what Miles eats and drinks.

Heather said...

Best of luck with Miles! It's always a bit scary when they have reactions and the worse is when it's unexplained. Liam has some allergies as well that are also a mystery to us...so frustrating to not know the cause!

Chuck said...

Chuck E. Cheeze

"Daddy maybe we should burn it down."
-Sean

Brian and Beth said...

Jared, I totally forgot that story. That is hands down the BEST story ever.